Knee pain is experienced by young, old, male or female. Those participating in sport regularly and those that do no sporting activity at all. Ranging from an intermittent dull ache or annoying pain to constant acute pain during physical activity. Or simply during day to day living e.g. walking.
What causes anterior (front knee) pain?
Pain in the joint of the knee can come from numerous structures and the vast majority are due to issues of the patella femoral joint. Known as Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS).
Other structures that may lead to pain at the front of the knee are the fat pad which lies underneath the patella. And the patella tendon that runs between the patella (knee cap) and the fibia (shin).
What factors contribute to Patella Femoral Joint Syndrome?
Issues that contribute include:
- Quadriceps muscle weakness, the muscle in the front of your leg.
- Hamstring and/or calf muscle tightness.
- Tight Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITB), the muscle band down the side of your leg.
- Poor movement coordination of the muscle of the hip, knee and ankle/foot.
- Poor technique in your chosen sports field.
If knee pain is impacting your lifestyle or sporting performance, book yourself in for an assessment by calling 07464 946721. Your treatment may include acupuncture, Kinesiology Taping, Ultrasound and always tailored to your individual need.